Monday, May 25, 2015

Floor Judge to Team Leading - End of Round.

End of Round as a Mentoring Tool.


In this post, I want to talk about how you can use End of Round as a mentoring tool to judges who have little to no experience with Team Leading. 

End of Round is a great tool for giving new and inexperienced judges a chance to work on the skills that are seen in a good leader. It helps a judge gain confidence, lets them work with all judges on the floor, and gives them a better understanding of delegation.

I have used this method at multiple PTQs and SCG Opens as a mentoring tool and I have received positive feedback every time. What I do is write out the steps of EoR and put it on a clipboard so the judge running EoR can have it as a reference. For future events, I plan on printing and laminating a copy so I can have it with me for every event.



 Steps Used to Run End of Round:
  1. With 5 minutes left on the clock, get a list of outstanding tables from the scorekeeper.
  2. Have another judge walk around the room and tell you what tables have time extensions and how long they are.
  3. Send judges to the tables with time extensions as they come up to you - remember to note the judge's name.
  4. Send judges out starting at the HIGHEST table number - remember to note the judges name.
  5. When you get a table number in, cross it off of your list and send the judge to the next highest table number.

Some Things to Note.


There are a couple of things that I would like to talk about in detail, and I would like to start with why we note the judge's name.

There are a couple of reasons that we do this, the first one being if anything goes wrong at that table then we want to know who was there or who was responsible for that table. If the match is running long into the match, then we know which judge to talk to so we know what was going wrong; if something comes up after the fact, then we want to know what judge was there at the end of the match in case we need to hear their side of the story. There are a lot of things that can come up and we want to make sure we are prepared for it.

The next thing to talk about is why we start sending judges at the highest table number. 

Judges tend to hover around the lowest table number and when judges find a match to sit on (usually around the 10 minute mark at most higher level events), they will usually sit at these tables. If we start sending judges to the highest number then it is more likely that we will get all of the tables covered in the shortest amount of time.

Now Your Turn!


So, those are some of my EoR tips and tricks. Next time you are at a GP, SCG Open, SCG States, or a large PPTQ you can use these methods to make a stepping stone from floor judge to team leading. I know that when I was given the opportunity to do End of Round at a GP it gave me the confidence I needed to have a successful first team lead. I hope it'll do the same for you and other judges you pass this down too.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns then comment below or email me at lexie9894@live.com.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment